Scones, a must have for any Afternoon Tea or Cream Tea. While they originated in Scotland in the early 1500s, they’ve come a long way since then, and now you can make your own vegan scones which taste as good as any other!
You’ll want a 3inch round cutter for cutting them out! You could make mini scones, but you’ll need to adjust your cooking times accordingly. You can find the cutters I use here.
- 500g self raising flour
- 125g vegan margarine
- 100g caster sugar
- 25g baking powder
- 200ml water
- 90g raisins (optional)
- Step 1 In a mixing bowl, add your baking powder, flour and vegan margarine and rub between your fingers until it forms a breadcrumb texture.
- Step 2 Add your sugar and mix in, then place the bowl onto an electric mixer, add your water and use the beater to gently mix until combined.
- Step 3 Your mix should be a nice dough texture. Remove from the bowl and split the mix into 2 equal sized piles if you’re making a half and half mix and add your raisins to one half and mix in.
- Step 4 On a floured surface, roll out your mix. You want it about 4cm. Use your cutter to cut the scones out and place them on a papered baking tray. Keep remoulding and rolling your mix until you’ve used it all up!
- Step 5 Bake for 12-15 minutes or until they look golden brown. Another good way to test is to take one off the tray, and gently tap the bottom, it should sound hollow.
- Step 6 Serve warm with vegan margarine and jam or cool completely and store in an airtight container. These are also great for freezing, just make sure you give yourself enough time for them to fully defrost before eating!
How did you get on?
The vegan scones in our house were “scone” before we knew it…. *queue tumbleweed*
Did you make any changes to the recipe? Did you have any additions? Most importantly, Jam or cream on top?? We’d love for you to share your thoughts with us!
If you wanted to try to put together a whole afternoon tea spread, why not try some of these recipes below to have with your scones?
- Vegan Millionaire Shortbread
- Gooey vegan Chocolate Brownies
- Vegan Oreo Rocky Road
- Vegan Apple Turnovers
- Lemon Cake
- Coffee Cake
Products from Amazon.co.uk
- Price: £6.23