Vegan Chocolate Cake
Everyone loves chocolate cake, right? Even Vegans! Yes, I know what you’re thinking… can vegan chocolate cake truly be as good as a cake that contains dairy and eggs? and of course, the answer is yes. This cake is made with amazing great taste as a number one priority, and I bet you could feed it to any non-vegan and they would never guess! It’s a super easy recipe that can be made quickly and painlessly.
This is also one of my favourite go-to recipes for making a celebration cake or a great all-around family dessert. The recipe originally was one my mother and I used to make together a lot when I was a child, and I was determined to create a vegan version which incorporated the same level of moistness and chocolatyness (possibly not a real word…) as it always used to have. The oil works to help keep the cake nice and moist, and the chia seeds are my (much healthier) egg substitute, so now you can even feel great while eating it!
Vegan Chocolate Cake
- For The Cake:
- 175g Self Raising Flour
- 4 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- 1 Heaped Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 100g Caster Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Golden Syrup
- 150ml Sunflower Oil
- 150ml Almond Milk
- 2 Teaspoons Chia seeds
- Warm Water
- For The Butter Icing:
- 150g Vegan margarine
- 280g Icing Sugar
- 20g Cocoa Powder
- A splash of Almond Milk
- Vegan Dark Chocolate Chunks to Decorate
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 160c
- Step 2 In a small pot mix your 2 teaspoons of chia seeds with two tablespoons of warm water and leave for a few minutes until it forms a gel-like substance.
- Step 3 Add all your cake ingredients into a food processor and process for about 10 second until all combined.
- Step 4 Line and grease 2×18 cm sandwich cake tins = and then split your mix between the two tins evenly.
- Step 5 Bake for 20-30 minutes or until a cocktail stick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Step 6 Leave to cool for 10 minutes and then turn out onto a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
- Step 7 In a mixer, add all your ingredients for your butter icing and slowly mix together until combined. Then turn your mixer to full to beat together thoroughly.
- Step 8 Split your icing into 2 equal amounts and spread one lot onto your first sandwich cake, and then lay the second cake on top.
- Step 9 Use your remaining icing to cover the top and sides of the cake and then sprinkle with dark chocolate chunks.
How did you find my vegan chocolate cake recipe? It’s a bit more challenging than my chocolate cupcake recipe but it tastes just as good. If not better! Don’t forget to comment if you did anything differently and share if you appreciated this recipe!
Looking for what to try next?:
- Vegan Millionaire Shortbread
- Vegan Scones
- Vegan Apple Crumble
- Vegan Cinnamon Rolls
- Vegan Creme Egg Recipe
Products from Amazon.co.uk
- Price: £29.95Was: £49.95
- Price: £14.00Was: £17.50